Monday, October 4, 2010

The last time I wrote something, it was the beginning of September and the semester. It's started to get cold. The weather has been really terrible for a few days now, and is set to continue being shitty for, oh, six months.

What else is up? I never feel like doing any work or practicing or going anywhere. None of the music I'm playing right now is exciting me very much, so I'm sort of just letting it stagnate.

That whole thing kind of scares me, but apart from that I'm not really unhappy or anything. I spend a lot of time with Julia and have fun playing Goldeneye and drinking coffee, but that does not lead to studying! Fall break is coming up this weekend, and even though it's just two extra days off, I hope I can use it to think some things through, since I won't have any work to do. I'll probably just watch soccer and eat too much. I need to find that optimum zone where I have enough time to just do what I want (something I am apparently unable to sacrifice), while still being a lot more productive than I have been. How do productive people do it?

Anyway, I've been listening to the mighty WINDIR a lot these past few days. As someone who's never been big on the "spirit" of black metal, Windir came as a breath of fresh air for me. They're all about Norse mythology and all that, but minus all the malice and plus some stunningly mature songcraft. The album isn't really black metal to begin with, more folk metal. Anyway, I feel like I'm playing World of Warcraft whenever I listen to this, but in the most totally awesome way possible. This video features Windir playing their last show without their leader and founding member Valfar, who died of hypothermia while walking to his grandma's house; they still do an admirable job.


PS: on a whim I ordered the vinyl reissue of Electric Wizard's classic Dopethrone from (LOL) Interpunk. I guess they still have copies, and nobody has Wizard vinyl. They also have a new album coming out called Black Masses. Maybe they will get me back into music, they bring the loud.

Also, if I can drag myself out of bed in seven hours, I'm going to start building my ProCo Rat pedal replica. I am legitimately excited about doing that.


No comments:

Post a Comment