Monday, October 24, 2011

Lots of thought!

I had a sorta weird day today. Despite sleeping for a good long while, I went through the entire day just wanting to go back to sleep. It was one of those sleepy, headachey days, and I'm not sure if caffeine addiction or "the wrong side of the bed" should take the blame. Regardless, I had to get to class (eventually), and since my hot-ass white 2001 Chevy Lumina (owww!) is still getting tuned up, I had to walk the fair distance to central campus anyway, so I wasn't really afforded any naptime. On a whim I decided to go to Kline (the cafeteria), and it was "Food Day". There were samples of goat cheeses (with signs saying "please only take one of each"), and a woman handing out quarter-full Dixie cups of Vita Coco, of which I have lots in my room. They also had lots of strawberries (very out of season) and no apples (very in season), so I don't get the "wholesome" image they were definitely trying to cultivate. I guess another surprise was that despite having "better" food, I probably ate less during that meal than I have in a while.

I then had my first ever conversation with Peter Gadsby, one of two Englishmen (that I know of) among Bard's faculty. Like Richard Aldous (apparently a diehard Ipswich Town man), Gadsby is a big football fan (of Chelsea, though he disapproves of Abramovich, which is alright). We had a nice little talk, mainly about money in the game. Talking to people like him and Richard always make me envious in a way, because they became fans of the game when teams held onto players, and before billionaires could just buy a club with no glorious history and splash cash on whoever they wanted. I read an article today on being left cold by much of the game nowadays, and I have to say, a little over a year into my avid following of the sport, I can only really get excited when Ajax or (to a lesser extent) Holland plays. I find Barcelona-Real Madrid to be a fucking borefest regardless of the "sublime" quality, and nothing in the English game really seems to matter. Italy's league is honestly a little better, particularly this season, but unfortunately, watching Ajax struggle to draws at home against teams they really should be beating (they were lucky to draw against Feyenoord) is an added downer to go with the fact that big clubs will be knocking on the door for Vertonghen and Eriksen. (Judging by his performances so far this season, they can have van der Wiel.)

Musically, I received my copy of "Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook" in the mail today, only to discover that it isn't at all what I'm looking for. I do not care how to use a Serge to make sounds like a clarinet. Sorry, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment