Monday, October 17, 2011

Man...

I've noticed that I always do this thing, and it's starting to get to me: I develop a mindset where I feel like I need ONE MORE THING to be able to achieve my goal. This applies primarily to the music I make; despite the fact that I now have an Access Virus, part of me feels I literally cannot create anything until the synth I'm working on is done, and after that's done, I probably won't feel "complete" until my Ampeg Scrambler pedal is done, and so on. I just spent three hours fucking around with my friend Flo's Utopia Synth but really couldn't come up with anything I liked in the slightest, especially not ten minutes of sound for my Electronic Music Composition midterm. I was able to use it effectively for a reworking of a piece I already presented for the class, "Annihilation," which now has a second part and is about eleven minutes long. I think it was better as a five-minute piece, but hey, these things happen. As I recall, Flo paid $180 for this Utopia, but it honestly does not do much, and I don't really like it. $180 should probably get you a little more bang for your buck, but I guess it looks pretty neat and has a layout and PCB.

Anyway, I guess the point of my writing this is to say that while forever getting excited about the next project I'm working on will probably serve me quite well as I pursue greater knowledge of electronics in years to come, I'm at a point right now where I need to produce results, and I'm probably far enough behind on my project that I can't afford to throw out as much as I do. I know this synth I'm making is going to be great and useful (lord knows I've put in the hours to make sure it's that way), but what if it becomes another thing I use intensely for a month and then forget about?

No comments:

Post a Comment